Monday 19 May 2014

Making stuff




What is this drive we have, to create something from nothing, to make concrete our ideas, to make stuff? I'm happiest when my hands are busy and my mind is focussed on solving a creative problem. It just makes sense to me to create what I want to see in the world.

I'm sure there are others who can relate to the tossing and turning at night when an idea just won't go to sleep and you have to grab your sketchbook and get it out of your head.

There are times when I have sat on the train, the rhythm and pace of the carriages on tracks lulling me into a creative mind space and my ideas flow out of my brain, through my hand and pen onto my sketchbook. It's one of the greatest feelings.

Other times I battle with the process, when I'm tired, or cranky or trying to meet a deadline that I've set for myself and it feels like hard work.

No matter where my life has taken me, I always return to the part of me that creates something from nothing. It's not always about making something practical or beautiful or commercially viable. It's not for praise or award. It's the way my mind works. A drive that I can't ignore, it's part of who I am. I make stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment